Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Love that will Grow!

I have a new hotty and it's feet are firmly planted in my front lawn. It's name is Fothergilla and her name is Mount Airy, hmmmmmm.
This was one of my purchases last spring, my first spring here in Grafton. When I saw Mount Airy, I knew I had to plant it immediately. So in the front lawn next to  the Bridal Wreath Spirea and it's back drop is the soon to be removed Blue Spruce from Colorado. Good bye to Colorado and hello to I have not made up my mind yet!
Back to Mount Airy and it's stunning beauty........


I am thrilled with this shrubs performance given it's location and it's tolerance for a windy, frosty and ill tempered winter. This shrub is planted to receive the brunt of NW winds in the winter, the spruce helps but it's at the Fothergilla's back, so not really. I planted it, of course using compost and Myke, topped with a layer of mulch and then ignored it. I am fortunate that this property has under ground aquifers and so moisture is not a problem here. Gotta luv that! Spoiled again!
This spring Mount Airy started blooming about a month ago before the leaves appeared and now it is at it's peak. The length time the bottle brush blooms and the show makes this a winner, but of course that is just a bonus. The real show is the foliage and in the fall it's shades of maroon, red and yellow can be a knock out. I love the shape and texture of the lobed leaves, there is no doubt this is in the Hamamelis family, a family which I appreciate very much. I seem to be collecting this family! I think I have to get a couple more of Fothergilla's to put with this lonely one. Maybe another Mount Airy and one Gardenii, which is just a little difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Great Lake

Great Lake
Lakeshore Road

Followers