Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Springing back......

What a spring, about  a month ago it was hotter than Hades here and the past two weeks we have had the temperature drop back down to where it should be and a few times cooler than it should be. Working in the horticulture and landscape trade I seem to spend a lot of time listening to the radio for frost warnings. Many plants that bolted a month ago have had frost damage. One day last week it snowed, sleeted and rained all in the same day.


Here at my house the Fothergilla is happy, the Parrotia Persica has not opened and I am hoping that it is behaving like some of it's cousins and does want to be 'like' it's relatives and is just slow to show. I have not had the nerve to scrape the bark to look at the cambium to see if it is green. I am praying for the slow to show as usual!  The Yellowwood is great and leafing out, the peach is still dormant so we will see how it shows itself when it finally warms up.
I found because of the warm spell in April people were confused about what month it actually was and wanted to plant tomatoes and peppers in their veggie gardens, that is a big no as they have to have warm nights and that is not happening here yet. Actually, I was confused by the warmth myself, I had to keep reminding myself it was April, not June. That is how warm it was.
Many things can be planted now in the cold soil and tolerate cold nights, things like peas, lettuces, onions, potatoes and other root crops. But hold off on the tomatoes, peppers and warm season crops from the warmer part of the globe.
As for trees and shrubs if they have been hardened off, then go for it, especially if you are close to Lake Ontario. Right now, at the shores of Lake Ontario they are traditionally 3 to 4 weeks behind us, which makes for an extended spring, summer and shorter fall. Caus' we all know winter is winter and last winter was the pits.  Further north from the lake and of the dreaded 40hum, be like me and listen to the radio or weather Canada for frost warnings.
Because of the hills and the lake here, there are real pockets of micro climates that can be warmer than outside of the 'pocket'. Having said that there are also places that are cooler pockets than others and get hit by frost a little more. It's interesting to see the hills, fields and water resources. I wish there were more trees and more hedgerows. Hedgerows are so important environmental of course, but really they are good for the soul, the view and the song. I love hedgerows, maybe I am on the course of creating my own hedgerow here. Dah, right, of course I knew that!! The problem is I am so easily seduced by a shrub, tree or vine. Really, I am quite tarty about it! About a week ago I counted the number of trees I have planted here - 19. Yes, 19! I have the room and if I select carefully, I may get a few more in. Now though, I have decided to focus more on shrubs and Fothergilla at the front was an excellent choice.
Here it is about double the size of when in it's pot. Next door is an old Bridal Wreath Spirea, which I cut back at the beginning of April, during the drought. It now has been sporting new shoots since the rain has started to come.
It looks a little odd in the photo, but I am really pleased to see all the new shoots. This shrub needed a good cut, no one had pruned it in at least ten years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Great Lake

Great Lake
Lakeshore Road

Followers