Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Bees

In my quest for spring, I have decided to make nesting boxes for mason bees. These bees are of the quiet kind, but are necessary for pollination. Hey, if I can help a bee and they help my gardens, I don't mind giving them shelter. I need a block of wood or a log to drill holes with a 5/16" drill bit, about 3 - 5" deep, you do not want to go through to the other side. I would drill up at slight angle to keep the rain out. Also, make sure your hole is cleaned out properly, they dislike clutter. Then all you have to do is hang it under an eave in a sheltered spot and the bees will come. I just read an article where they used paper straws (I dislike plastic) and bundled them together with white glue and then placed the bundle snugly in a coffee can and the bees came. I am looking forward to my block of wood. I guess I had better go talk to Francis to get another piece of wood. Here are some pic's I found online about doing this project. These are nice homes for bees, when I complete my bee box I will post it as well.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Great Lake

Great Lake
Lakeshore Road

Followers