Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Fresh AiR

The tasks today were filled with the essence and lift of spring. First I had to go photograph a Witch Hazel in bloom at a friends garden. We had put it in I would guess, 4 years ago now and it is starting to really take hold. It's gorgeous and now I want one!
This plant is much prettier in real life, I have to work on that! The red petals transform to orange red tip and are really wonderful! We placed this shrub outside a bathroom window which helps shield the lower window from outside viewing  and yet it makes a nice view while inside looking out. You actually get to see your witch hazel blooming!
This is Hamamelis x intermedia 'Diane' a truly gorgeous Witch Hazel.











After a few errands and chores, Bo and I headed home and it was time to feed him and go for a walk. So we did the 'block' that takes us around by the pond. I had a sense that we should check out the pond just to see who is passing through. I could only see one swan (Mute), the other is on the nest way back in the far corner. There were 3 smaller ducks that were either Mergansers or Wood Ducks but I did not have my: glasses, binoculars, camera or brains with me!! So we finished our walk, came in the house and put the telescopic lens on the camera, Bo had a drink and we drove back to the pond.
There we were able to get some good photo's of the Hooded Mergansers! I was pleased. Their were 2 males and a female. The one male stuck by her tightly and when the other boy was diving, the remaining male would fan his hood at her and she would perk up! Then the other male would appear and they acted like they were not doing anything, but they would swim around side by side.
Here is what i got, in the first photo he is just putting his fan back down.


Taking off here, you can barely make her out on the right, neither male will leave her side. I saw later it was another male that made them leave, I guess that one more would be just too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Great Lake

Great Lake
Lakeshore Road

Followers