Monday, March 15, 2010

The Little Foxes

Last night when Bo and I left for our walk, Boots the cat came outside with us. He usually does and many times he will come with Bo and me on our walk. Last night he choose to stay by the garage and when we got back home he decided to stay out. Normally I try to get him to come in as I know there are coyotes and foxes that come around at night, but I thought he could stay out a bit longer last night. I have not heard the coyotes since last fall, it's still cold out at night, but things are heating up around here.
An hour later it was dark out and I decided it was time for Boots to come in. I opened the side door and Boots came running to me from the garage. Just as he got to the door he stopped and looked down the driveway, I looked too, but there was nothing there.
Then all of a sudden down the sidewalk came a fox, he was beautiful, he was wearing a very healthy full coat of fur. He was in perfect health, his tail was extended with it's long and fluffy fur. He stopped at the end of the driveway. The fox stared at us while we stared at him. This is when I wish I had a camera installed in my forehead! I knew if I left to get my camera, he would be gone when I got back, never mind the settings for a night shot! When they install camera's in foreheads, I am going to be at the front of the line!!  Then after about 10 seconds I scooped up the cat and the fox trotted on.
I have not seen a fox here since last fall and I immediately thought he must be looking for food. There is probably a den with a female and kits in it and he needs to get her some dinner. So Boots will be in with us for quite sometime, especially in the early morning and twilight hours. He is a big cat, not fat but big boned with some beef and walks like a sailor, but he is no match for a fox.
At our last house Puss his brother once taunted a fox, which is not all that smart. The fox played along for a while then changed his whole demeanor & he started circling the cat. I came out of the house picked up cat and told the fox to scat, which he did. Puss lived through that one.
I only have one cat now. Boots. He pays the price for the mistake Puss did make. I don't let Boots go far or out for long. He can cause trouble and get into trouble. As the weather warms he will be on strict probation because the birds will be coming. Boots can not go out when the birds are nesting, he is cruel and will climb to any height to achieve his goal.
Spring is coming, I heard Red Winged Blackbirds today in my yard and the Mute Swans are back at the pond. They were not there the day before. So now is the time to start weaning Boots from the great out of doors again and this is the beginning of his 'season of discontent'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Great Lake

Great Lake
Lakeshore Road

Followers